Labor-based grading is beneficial to students and professor

I’m assuming many students and professors haven’t heard of labor-based grading before, and I am here to share my experience with this experimental grading system so far.

Labor-based grading is basically what it sounds like, you are graded for your effort and amount of work completed rather than a typical grading point system. Grades in my class that use this system are based on attendance, the amount of work completed on time and extra assignments completed. To break down the system a little more, you begin the class with a B. If you do the required work on time and don’t have too many unexcused absences you get to keep a B. To achieve an A you need to do the same things but complete additional assignments at any point throughout the semester. These assignments are weighted differently based on the amount of work, but on average it would take two to three extra assignments to achieve an A. On the other hand, if you miss class, turn work in late, and don’t make up any missed assignments you can drop to a C or lower depending on how much work you miss over the entirety of the semester.

I am a senior this year and will be graduating this spring, but in my four years at Grand Valley State University, I have only had two classes experimenting with this new grading style. One class was during my sophomore year and one I am currently enrolled in for this semester. My sophomore year was hard to fully experience since COVID-19 was still a major issue and in-person classes were still getting back into full swing. Most of the experiences I am sharing are from my current class since it is a fully traditional class.

At first, I was skeptical about this grading system, especially with it being newer. Now that I fully understand the concept and have been in the class for about six weeks I think this grading system should be implemented in more classrooms. It has made my learning and experience in the classroom much better and other students have shared the same thoughts. This system allows for students to learn more in my opinion. Instead of just turning something in for points there’s incentive to participate more. I feel that many students are so worried about grades that anything regarding participation and taking the time to learn the material is neglected. With labor-based grading, it is dependent on how much effort you put into the class which enables more learning and less scanning assignments that are just for points. Another interesting thing this grading style does is that it helps eliminate biases in grading. It assures that if the directions are followed and the assignment is completed, full credit is given. It doesn’t matter if you have a slightly different writing style or do work in another way. 

I think this grading style would help many students learn more and increase participation. Following COVID-19, I have seen many professors show concerns about student participation. Some are struggling with attendance and engagement in courses. This system would drive engagement while letting students all succeed. Each student writes, solves problems and completes work in a unique way which leaves some students with lower grades because of it. I know many students care so much about their letter grades that they don’t focus on learning and absorbing material which is why most of us are here at the end of the day. I know this style may not be the best fit for everyone and it may not work in all courses, but I have seen many benefits and a lot of students in agreement with this system so far.