Arts & Entertainment fall 2023 semester in review

Local performing arts venue facing closure

The Division Avenue Arts Collective (DAAC) is a non-profit located in Grand Rapids that has provided local artists an outlet to showcase their talents for the past twenty years. However, recent challenges may prevent the organization from staying open.

GVL/ Annabelle Robinson

The DAAC is a volunteer-run music venue, art gallery and “creative incubator” for people of all ages to showcase their talents. The space caters to artists who are just beginning their creative journey, the DAAC has served as a safe space for people to express themselves.

On Sept. 1, the DAAC issued a statement about its current operation model and volunteer needs that would allow the venue to keep its doors open.

To read more of Rachael Gage’s coverage of the DAAC, click here.

GV students debut collaborative short film

A short film created by Ravines Film Collective, a film production organization at Grand Valley State University, was released on the organization’s YouTube channel on Sept. 15.

GVL/ Sam Nelson

The short film titled “Threshold”  blends elements of science fiction and surrealism to bring the story to life. The work originated from GVSU film student Tanner Hamilton and his brother Tate Hamilton’s ideas, and the film draws from works like “The Matrix” and “Spirited Away.”

The film follows the character of Ian Forsythe, an office clerk who helps customers “cross” into different realities or “thresholds.” Trouble begins when a mysterious figure with a dark cloak and reflective face starts pursuing Forsythe in the office and eventually into the woods. While in the woods, Forsythe discovers an eerie tunnel that alters his journey and leads him somewhere unexpected.

To read more of Dylan Hoffius’ coverage of “Threshold,” click here.

OMA hosts Banned Books discussion

Grand Valley State University’s Office of Multicultural Affairs (OMA) observed Banned Books Week by hosting a banned books discussion on Oct. 4. The event was part of the OMA’s Conversations of Color series and provided education, awareness and a call to protect books that are being censored.

GVL/ Alena Visnovsky

OMA offers comprehensive programs and services to help celebrate and educate people on social justice efforts to build a diverse and inclusive campus. Since 2019, OMA has hosted Conversations of Color, an event series that provides a space for students to interact with each other while discussing various social justice topics and issues.

This event covered the history of book banning and how current groups are banning books to restrict information. Mae Zurita, the discussion facilitator, said that this censored information deserves to be shared no matter what.

To read more of Rachael Gage’s coverage of the banned books discussion, click here.

GV hosts author to discuss climate, indigenous teachings

Best-selling author Robin Wall Kimmerer gave a presentation on biodiversity and sustainability to Grand Valley State University students on Nov. 8 to kick off the 2023 GVSU Teach-In, an event intended to spark discussions and “improve inclusion and equity.”

Courtesy/ GVNext

Her presentation encouraged the audience to consider “what does the earth ask of us?” a question Kimmerer said we need to consider, as we find ourselves on the brink of climate catastrophe.

Kimmerer cited a 2019 report from the Intergovernmental Science-Policy Platform on Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services (IPBES) that reveals nature on Indigenous land is declining less rapidly than on other lands.

To read more of Dylan Hoffius’ coverage of Kimmerer’s presentation, click here.

Moving the movers: live music accompanists inspire, influence GV’s dance program

Tucked away in the back wing of Grand Valley State University’s Thomas J. and Marcia J. Haas Center for Performing Arts is room 1600: the largest dance studio used by dance program students. Starting at 9 a.m. the studio comes to life as dance students enter the space for the first movement class of the day. They begin stretching, catching up with friends and greet the professor as they enter.

GVL/ Bethann Long

Silently, one more person enters the room: the accompanist. They walk to the back corner of the studio, which contains a piano and drums. They won’t be moving as the dancers do or verbally guide the students like the instructor, instead, the movement will take place as their fingers strike the keys of the piano or beat the drums. The music they play will shape the class at its core.

GVSU’s dance program has two accompanists Alex Hamel and Ryan Blok who create, perform and partner with dance students and faculty within the program’s movement technique classes. Hamel, who has been a part of the program for over 10 years, most commonly accompanies the modern dance courses and Blok has been the resident ballet accompanist since 2017.

To read more of Editor in Chief Elizabeth Schanz’ coverage of accompanists, click here.

GV Archives gets crafty for American Archives Month

Grand Valley State University’s Special Collections & University Archives closed out American Archives Month with a multi-day celebration called Vibes Fest.

GVL/ Sam Nelson

The purpose of American Archives Month, according to the Mid-Atlantic Regional Archives Conference is to “raise public awareness about the importance of historic documents and records.”

Vibes Fest took place at the “pit,” a conversation pit, in the Seidman House, the building in which the Special Collections and University Archives are located. The “pit” used to be an event space for speakers and students to congregate in the university’s past.

To read more of Dylan Hoffius’ coverage of GV Archive’s Vibes Fest, click here.