GV College Democrats host mayoral candidate David LaGrand

Courtesy / GVSU College Democrats

Grand Valley State University students came face to face with local politics on Wednesday, Feb. 21, when GVSU’s College Democratics hosted a “Meet the Candidate” event. The discussion hosted Grand Rapids’ mayoral candidate and former Democratic State Representative David LaGrand. 

The event took place on GVSU’s Pew campus in the Richard M. Devos Center Building. Several students who attended the event felt the discussion hit close to home.

A large aspect of LaGrand’s campaign, and the issue LaGrand spent the most time discussing with student attendees, is unaffordable housing and homelessness. LaGrand said he is determined to address these issues, expressing a demand for greater government involvement to make changes. LaGrand stressed the importance of new legislation regarding affordable housing in the area.

“It’s not gonna get solved some Tuesday afternoon with the ordinance, it’s going to take persistent effort,” LaGrand said. “We have to devote some resources to address some of the unhousing needs.”

LaGrand said the “ideal city” that he wants to see as a mayor deplores the “middle-class suburban myth of America.” His vision of paradise is not everyone having an acre of land and a driving mower, but rather a community that works to fix the problems at hand so every citizen of Grand Rapids can have the support they need to be a contributing citizen in society. 

When attendees pressed how LaGrand plans to address recent “anti-homeless” ordinances, LaGrand said he thought such a thing would be “a political mess.” 

“This is a continuum issue. What I want to do is get (citizens) housing, virtually immediately,” LaGrand said.

LaGrand announced his candidacy for mayor on Tuesday, May 30 of last year, and is campaigning against City Commissioner Sinita Lenear in the race for mayor.

LaGrand referenced his past work as a state representative but focused on the work he aims to accomplish if he wins the election. LaGrand said he primarily focuses on the use of door-to-door campaigning and meeting with college-aged students because it is important to get the attention of more receptive, and politically active young voters. 

“Somebody who gets jazzed about our mayor’s race and comes out and votes is gonna be voting on election day for president,” LaGrand said.