Voting events increase accessibility for political activism on campus

GVL / Risho Wooten

In preparation for the Presidential Primary on Feb. 27, GVSU Votes!, a civic engagement initiative sponsored by the Office of Student Life and the Division of Student Affairs, hosted “Vote in Kirkhof” last week from Feb. 21 to Feb. 23, providing students with voter registration services.

Students were able to register to vote, request absentee ballots and cast ballots at the event. Trained volunteers and deputy clerks from the Township Satellite Clerk’s Office ran the event and provided students with voter registration information.

GVL / Risho Wooten

Local residents registered in the area could vote on-site.

“It’s just a way of really making it easy and accessible for our Allendale residents to exercise their right to vote,” said Melissa Baker-Boosamra, Associate Director for the Office of Student Life at GVSU.

GVSU provides students with voting resources and opportunities. The university has been recognized for its high voter turnout in recent years, especially in midterm elections.

According to the Harvard Gazette, many young people, especially college students, are unenthusiastic about the presidential election, favoring third-party candidates. A poll from the Institute of Politics at Harvard Kennedy School said the percentage of college students committed to voting in the 2024 election fell from 68% to 55%.

Many young voters are turning away from partisan politics due to disappointment with the way recent issues like climate change, gun control and the humanitarian crisis in Palestine have been handled by politicians in government. Some GVSU students say the drop in public interest in voting could be from young voters feeling that their vote is worthless.

“In order for more people, especially young adults, to want to go out to vote, they need to feel as if their vote matters. I think that’s the first and most important step,” said GVSU student Laura Ray.

GVL / Risho Wooten

Two upcoming events similar to Vote in Kirkhof are “Elect Her” and “Democracy 101,” both of which will focus on motivating students’ political voices. Though GVSU has provided students with opportunities and resources regarding political action, many students still hold reservations as to whether they feel their political voices are being heard by the university. 

“I do feel that students’ voices are heard on campus when they choose to speak up and act,” said GVSU student Isabelle Grunwaldt. “It isn’t hard to get involved, it just takes a willingness to do so and the courage to ask questions about where to go.”

Events like Vote in Kirkhof, encourage students to be active citizens and participate in democracy. GVSU Votes! maintains a nonpartisan approach to political action on campus as a way to not sway voters.

“Our job is not to tell students who to vote for, what to vote for (or) to sway students in any particular direction. Our job is to help all students to exercise their right to vote,” Baker-Boosamra said. 

According to Baker-Boosamra, GVSU is committed to student voter registration reaching 100%. President Mantella signed the “Higher Education Presidents’ Commitment to Full Student Voter Participation” as a part of the ALL IN Campus Democracy Challenge. The ALL IN Challenge motivates college students to be politically active and engage with civic duties. 

“Voting is important for everyone because it is our direct link to our representatives,” Grunwaldt said. “It is one way we can use our voice to ensure our problems, goals and ambitions are addressed.”  

GVL / Risho Wooten