News fall 2022 semester in review

GVL+Archives

GVL Archives

Josh Alburtus, News Editor

GV Student Senate passes legislation to restructure, raise student wages

GVL / Annabelle Robinson

After calls for reform from members of the Grand Valley State University community, the university’s Student Senate passed a proposal with the intent of it being shared with the Vice President for student affairs and University Academic Senate on Nov. 17 aiming to usher in a restructuring of the pay scale that determines on-campus student wages.

In the bill, the Student Senate resolved that student employees are being paid below local market values, finding that some students being compensated at a 33% lower hourly rate than students working off campus.

Larbi Al Moutaa, Student Senate’s Vice President of Diversity Affairs and sponsor of the bill, said that students’ frustration was impossible not to notice.

To read more of Payton Brazzil’s coverage of the Senate’s wage legislation, click here.

GV officials address Student Senate on student enrollment, diversity

GVL / Bethann Long

At their Nov. 10 general assembly, Grand Valley State University’s Student Senate welcomed university Vice President for Enrollment Development and Educational Outreach B. Donta Truss and Associate Vice President of Admissions and Recruitment Daniel C. Vélez to speak to senators.

Truss said this year GVSU brought in more student diversity than ever before. In aiming to provide equity in students’ opportunities and resources, GVSU has created a strategic enrollment management plan to help potential students in the admissions process.

“We are always looking for new, innovative approaches to recruiting students to GVSU and are open to suggestions,” Truss said.

To read more of Chloe Schram’s coverage of the officials’ message to the Senate, click here.

Shooting, stabbing at GV area apartment complexes continue semester-long violent crime trend

GVL / Bri Conway

Following a string of violent criminal activity at apartment complexes in the Allendale area, students and residents encountered another incident in the early hours of Sunday morning, Oct. 29.

Around 2:45 a.m., reports of a stabbing at 48 West Apartments came through to which Ottawa County deputies responded while on patrol.

The victim of the stabbing was not on the scene at the time of law enforcement’s arrival, but many vehicles were seen exiting the apartment complex.

To read more of Emma Armijo’s coverage of these events, click here.

Local, state, national Dems rally at Pew Campus ahead of Election Day

GVL / Josh Alburtus

Local and statewide Democratic candidates and their supporters converged on Grand Valley State University’s Pew Campus in downtown Grand Rapids on Nov. 6 in an effort to encourage voter turnout and energize a key voting base in the state ahead of the Nov. 8 midterm elections.

The Grand Rapids region, once known as a reliable Republican bastion, has become a critical battleground for both parties in recent elections as the region has trended increasingly toward the Democratic party.

In 2018, Governor Gretchen Whitmer carried the county with 50.5% of the vote, followed by President Biden’s 51.9% in 2020, making him only the second Democratic presidential nominee to carry the county in over 50 years.

To read more of Josh Alburtus’ coverage of the rally, click here.

GV Office of Multicultural Affairs observes Day of the Dead

GVL / Bri Conway

Día de los Muertos, the Day of the Dead, is a holiday originating in Mexico that is celebrated throughout the world. At Grand Valley State University, the Office of Multicultural Affairs (OMA) held its annual celebration the first week in November.

The OMA’s mission is based on observing, encouraging and engaging in collaboration between the different cultures of students on campus. The OMA holds various cultural heritage celebrations throughout the year, like Día de los Muertos.

The Day of the Dead is a holiday rooted in historical significance and the celebration of ancestry. The basis of the holiday is acknowledging the death of loved ones and honoring their lives. People often gather with family members and remember those who are no longer with them through music, games, prayer and food.

To read more of Zoë Murphy’s coverage of the OMA’s Day of the Dead celebrations, click here.

New polling, GV experts sound alarm over democratic stability ahead of midterm elections

GVL / Macayla Cramer

Approaching the midterm elections on Nov. 8, new polling data from Lansing-based EPIC-MRA found that fear over the implications of the upcoming elections for American democracy continues to run high among Michigan voters.

In a poll conducted between Oct. 6 to Oct. 12, EPIC-MRA found that 64% of those surveyed agreed that “in the upcoming November election, our very democracy is at stake” when considering the events on Jan. 6, 2021, the increased restrictions on elections and growing claims of widespread election fraud.

Affiliate Professor of Political Science at Grand Valley State University Roger Moiles highlighted what he believes are the damaging impacts mistrust in elections may have on democratic institutions.

To read more of Katherine Rauhut’s coverage of these concerns from experts, click here.

Midwest gas prices rise rapidly amid regional, global oil supply shocks

GVL / Sydney Lim

Gas prices in West Michigan are on the rise again this month, due in part to multiple factors on the regional and national levels.

In the Midwest, the explosion of a British Petroleum (BP) refinery in Ohio on Sept. 20 has begun to constrict local oil supplies. The refinery, which has the capacity to produce 160,000 barrels per day, suffered a subsequent fire that left two employees dead and caused a full evacuation of the staff.

“Our thoughts are with the families and loved ones of these two individuals,” BP America said in a statement released the following day. “All other staff is accounted for and our employee assistance team is on-site in Toledo to support our employees impacted by this tragedy.”

To read more of Joseph Poulos’ coverage of rising gas prices, click here.

GV Student Senate passes parking legislation as concerns over violations, availability persist

GVL / Annabelle Robinson

On Sept. 23 Grand Valley State University’s Student Senate passed legislation recommending that the university’s Parking Services clearly state policy changes and notify the campus community in a “visible” manner.

Student Senate Vice President of External Affairs, Zach Schmidt, wrote the legislation to ensure students are properly informed.

“My job is to bring the concerns that the students are having to the administration, and try to get those concerns addressed,” Schmidt said.

To read more of Camryn Snider’s coverage of the Senate’s parking legislation, click here.

GV professor: Climate change a factor in later shift of GV area foliage colors

GVL / Aida Dennis

In the areas surrounding Grand Valley State University, local experts have been predicting a mid- to late-October peak for this year’s leaf colors that represent a slightly delayed timeline than in recent cycles.

For those wondering why the change seems to be taking longer this year, the answer may be related to climate change.

In West Michigan specifically, weather is often unpredictable. However, the Grand Valley State University area may be impacted by climate change in many ways. The colorful autumn leaves are one indication.

To read more of Sophia Ehlers’ coverage of climate change’s effect on seasonal shifts, click here.

MI ballot initiative sparks new abortion debate at GV

GVL / Meghan Tripp

This summer the Grand Valley State University community watched the abortion access saga unfold in Michigan.

From the initial ruling of Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization to the brief hours of Aug. 19 when county prosecutors in Michigan were able to pursue abortion cases before an injunction was issued, the state’s legal position on the issue has remained unstable.

Although abortion access is protected in Michigan for the foreseeable future, activist groups on the GVSU campus are now preparing for the next phase in the fight over the statewide legality of the procedure: the Michigan Right to Reproductive Freedom Initiative.

To read more of Grace Smith’s coverage of the abortion initiative and debate, click here.

GV welcomes freshmen with first in-person Convocation in three years

GVL / Meghan Tripp

For the students and faculty at Grand Valley State University, 2022 can be seen as a new beginning.

With the COVID-19 pandemic and other obstacles now receding, the coming school year is one of optimism and renewal.

Piling into the Fieldhouse Arena on Aug. 24, the inaugurated freshman class of 2026 had the opportunity to experience this firsthand at the university’s annual Convocation ceremony.

To read more of Jacob Welch’s coverage of Convocation, click here.

GV sees tuition cost rise along with increased funding to university

GVL / Meghan Tripp

On June 24, Grand Valley State University’s Board of Trustees approved a 2.9% increase in tuition for the 2022-23 school year.

For undergraduate students who have earned less than 55 credits, this equates to an increase of $196 per semester in tuition costs. The new cost for tuition per semester is $6,976, or $586 per credit hour.

For students who have already earned 55 credits or more, tuition increased by $206 per semester, making the overall tuition per semester $7,326.

To read more of Michaela Triemstra’s coverage of GV’s rise in tuition, click here.

Student Senate seeks to improve culture, student relationships in upcoming year

GVL Archives

As Grand Valley State University’s Student Senate looks toward the upcoming 2022-23 school year, its newly elected cabinet aims to increase its outreach and cooperation with GVSU students.

At the end of last semester, the Student Senate held their annual cabinet elections in which the senators selected new vice presidents and leaders of the organization’s subcommittees.

Former Vice President of Educational Affairs Faith Kidd ascended to become the senate’s new president.

To read more of Alexander Verheek’s coverage of the Student Senate’s plans, click here.

GV students face an uncertain job market after graduation

GVL / Meghan Tripp

With the current state of national and state economies and job markets, Grand Valley State University seniors are facing uncertainty after graduation as they search for employment.

As the COVID-19 pandemic has resulted in unprecedented effects on the nation’s economy, job market and unemployment rates, economists are split about the financial trends of the nation and what they mean for the near future.

From June 6 to June 9 the Financial Times and the Initiative on Global Markets at the University of Chicago’s Booth School of Business conducted a macroeconomics survey showing that nearly 70% of the economists who responded predicted a pending recession before 2024.

To read more of Abigail Hasse’s coverage of these economic conditions, click here.