Arts & Entertainment Briefs 11/6

GV fishladder accepting submissions

Grand Valley State University’s student-run literary and art journal, fishladder, is accepting submissions for this school year’s publication. Fiction, nonfiction, poetry, art and photography submissions are encouraged. The deadline for entries is Dec. 16.

More information about guidelines and how to submit entries can be found on their website.

Wealthy Theater to screen “When Harry Met Sally”

As part of its Tuesday Film Series, Wealthy Theater will be playing popular movies throughout the months of Nov. and Dec.

On Nov. 7, “When Harry Met Sally” will be shown. Doors open at 7 p.m., and the movie begins at 8 p.m. 

Flute and clarinet guest artists to perform

Flutist Rebecca Johnson and clarinetist Magie Beck will be performing a guest artist recital on Nov. 6 at 7:30 p.m. in the Cook-Dewitt Center. Johnson and Beck, professors at Eastern Illinois University, will be performing clarinet duos and eclectic flute music, according to the event webpage.

Indigenous author to give presentation

Robin Wall Kimmerer, a national best-selling author, will be giving a presentation on Nov. 8 at 11:15 a.m. in Kirkhof Center’s Grand River Room. She will be speaking on her books “Braiding Sweetgrass: Indigenous Wisdom, Scientific Knowledge and the Teachings of Plants” and “Gathering Moss: A Natural and Cultural History of Mosses.”

According to the event webpage, “Kimmerer is a mother, scientist, decorated professor, and enrolled member of the Citizen Potawatomi Nation.”

The presentation will also be live-streamed in Kirkhof Center’s Pere Marquette Room and the Loosemore Auditorium on the Pew Campus. Those interested in attending virtually can register to receive a Zoom link. 

Film screening to discuss climate change

“Stepping Softly on the Earth” (2022), directed by Marcos Colón, will be screened on Nov. 9 from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. and Nov. 10 from noon to 2 p.m. in the Mary Idema Pew Library’s Multipurpose Room. 

The film presents indigenous narratives from the Amazon Rainforest as a means of discussing oil extraction, mining, land and logging from a decolonial perspective. 

The screening is part of the Climate Change, the Public Environmental Humanities, and the New Liberal Education series. The series is a collaboration between Grand Valley State University, Oakland University, University of Illinois Chicago, West Chester University and Florida State University. The collaboration aims to promote interdisciplinary environmental humanities and mobilize action on climate change.