Arts & Entertainment Briefs 2/12

Mardi Gras in Grand Rapids

As part of the World of Winter Festival, the Grand Rapids Public Museum (GRPM) is hosting a Mardi-Gras parade and celebration on Feb. 13 from 7-11 p.m. The event is free to the public, with festivities ranging from swing dancing, a glow-in-the-dark sidewalk parade and live jazz music.

The night begins at the GRPM and ends at the downtown Uccello’s. It is encouraged that attendees dress in their best Mardi-Gras attire.

Alternative Breaks to support neglected and abused animals with fundraiser

To support the Humane Society of West Michigan, Alternative Breaks is hosting a puppy kissing booth on Valentine’s Day, Feb. 14, in the Kirkhof Center lobby from 1-3 p.m. Students are encouraged to come and spend time with the dogs, and make donations of $1 or more, with all proceeds going directly to the Humane Society. 

Representatives from the Humane Society will be available at the event to discuss the adoption process for those interested in adding a furry friend to their family.

GR symphony to perform award-winning film score

The Grand Rapids Symphony will perform the Oscar and Grammy-winning “Black Panther” film score from Feb. 16-17 at the DeVos Performance Hall. The film will be screened simultaneously with the symphony’s performance, giving viewers an experience that emphasizes the music as much as the film. 

Tickets for the performance are available online.